Gardening as a hobby can be remarkably enjoyable and gratifying allowing you to take a break from the monotony of stressful living and relax in the lap of nature. However, taking care of your backyard or lawn in broad daylight could also take a toll on your wellbeing if you do not take adequate preventive measures to safeguard your health. For instance, when you till the soil, plant seedlings or rake up dead leaves and foliage during daytime, you expose yourself to the vulnerable UVA and UVB rays of the sun.
Long-term exposure to the damaging UV rays could eventually lead to skin disorders and in the worst possible case scenario cause basal cell cancer or melanoma. Dermatologists and skin specialists nowadays recommended putting on a sun hat besides slathering on sunscreen lotions or gels before stepping out. A sunhat is not only your first line of defense but also your best. When it comes to selecting an appropriate sunhat, always go for one that offers thorough protection from the toxic UV rays, is comfortable to wear and keep on, breathable, durable, and is aesthetically appealing.
If you wish to guarantee yourself full protection from the stinging and harsh ultraviolet rays of the sun, go for the Lenikis Unisex Outdoor Activities Sun Hat with Neck Flap. This fedora has been stitched out of 50+ UPF fabrics that screen nearly 90% of UV rays and features flaps that safeguard your nape, ears, and neck from the scorching heat. The polyester material keeps the hat lightweight, is washable, dries up quickly after a rinse, and resistant to stains or hard water marks.
- The polyester fabric is reinforced with 50+ UPF material making the sunhat UV proof
- Adaptable straps at the back and chin enables the hat to be positioned comfortably on heads of different sizes
- Embroidered from premium polyester material: lightweight, stain and water resistant, easily rinses and dries, and foldable
- Meshed flaps on either side promote air circulation
- Ideal for putting on during gardening, hiking, fishing, sightseeing, and playing an outdoor game
- The brim is a tad too flexible that might make the hat fly away while running or riding a bike speedily
If you’re looking for a quality and budget-friendly cap to shield your top from the stinging and harsh UV rays of the sun, then the YOYEAH Outdoor Mesh Sunhat fits the bill. This bucket hat has been sewn out of soft polyester material that makes it resilient and keeps it lightweight as well. Meshed venting helps in circulating air checking your head from becoming sweaty and a wide brim with adaptable straps enables it to be worn comfortably.
- Stitched out of quality polyester fabric: sunhat is soft and lightweight
- Chinstrap, toggle, and draw cord for customized fits
- Mesh vents for promoting ventilation and keeping the top cool
- Has passed UPF+50 test making it ideal for protecting head from UV rays
- Perfect for putting on during any kind of outdoor activity
- The hat material is synthetic which is inferior compared to natural fabrics like cotton
- The wide brimmed sunhat may not fit perfectly on all head sizes
Strap on the Bora Bora Booney II Sun Hat from Columbia Sportswear while you’re out hiking, fishing, camping or tending to your backyard lawn. This sunhat has been fashioned out of pure nylon material and features an Omni-Shade headband reinforced with UPF+50 for screening out the sun’s harmful UV rays. There’s the proprietary Omni-Wick sweatband with meshed vents for keeping head and face sweat free.
- Sewn from cent per cent pure nylon
- Adaptable chin strap
- Flexible draw cord with toggle at the rear
- Approved by the Skin Cancer Foundation: Ideal for putting on for blocking out damaging UVA and UVB rays of the sun
- Vented panel with Omni-Wick sweatband for facilitating air circulation and checking perspiration
- Dries up quickly after it is rinsed or immersed in water
- Does not come with flaps for protecting the ears, neck, and nape
The Funky Junque Embroidered Beach/Floppy/Panama/Sunhat/Straw Hat has been designed exclusively for adult and teenage members of the opposite sex. It sports a brim height of 4.5 inches and an inner circumference of about 24 inches and has flexible drawstrings, enabling the sunhat to be fitted over different head sizes and shapes. Bold italicized letterings complete with a black ribbon strap around the brim base accentuate the hat’s appeal.
- Brim of medium-width fits comfortably on almost all head sizes
- Adaptable drawstrings facilitate strapping on as per personal convenience
- Made from 100% recyclable paper material: Environmental-friendly, lightweight and lasting use
- Ideal for wearing to the beach and during camping, gardening, boating, fishing, vacationing, honeymooning, and other outdoor activities
- Many customers have complained of receiving the sunhat in a folded up form and they struggled to restore its full flat shape
- The hat is not as big as it has been appears on the website
The Scala Women’s Big Brim Hat is one of the best sunhats that women of all ages can opt for. This sun hat has been embroidered out of pure cotton which not only makes the cap comfortable to wear but also keeps it functional for year on end. The cotton fabric is easily washable by hand and dries up quickly as well. Wide brim of the hat can be folded over for wearer’s convenience and features a drawstring for strapping the same over a range of head shapes and sizes.
- Sewn out of 100% pure cotton: keeps the hat lightweight, flexible, and makes it comfy to put on
- Adaptable drawstring for a personalized fit
- Washable by hand
- Dries up rapidly after a wash
- UPF+50 approved
- May be a trifle hassling to fit on heads that are too big or small even with the drawstrings
Of the 5 sunhats reviewed in this article, the model from Columbia Sportswear was found to be the most performance oriented judging from the basic parameters. The sunhats from Lenikis and YOYEAH emerged as the best buys while the one from Scala provided the best bang for the bucks.