If your earn your daily bread as a professional horticulturist or have taken up gardening as a pastime you’ll invariably need a set of tools so as to maintain the lawn or garden in pristine condition. One such gardening tool is the pruning shears or hand shears that you’ll require for trimming and paring overgrown hedgerows, bushes, and shrubs in order to prolong their lifetime as well as to keep your garden looking pretty.
The task of pruning is tedious in itself and it can become all the more dreary stressing you out at the end of the day if you’re not armed with an efficient hedge shears. It does not need to be emphasized that a pair of performance oriented garden shears will make the chore of hedging or paring less backbreaking for you as well as get the job done effectively. Since pruning is a task that is usually carried out on a regular basis, specific aspects, like the weight, blade length, adaptable blade tension, and grip should be taken into consideration.
Best 5 Shears for Pruning Reviews
1. TABOR TOOLS Extendable Hedge Shears for Trimming Borders, Boxwood, Decorative Grasses, and Bushes
Trim hard to access bushy outgrowths, pare unkempt hedgerows, and prune boxwoods with the extensible hedge shears from Tabor Tools. This garden shears comes with telescoping steel handles allows you to reach the topmost section of any bushy or woody plant in your garden. The carbon steel blades snip smoothly through thickset twigs and branches and the shock neutralizing straps wrapped around the handle ends keep your hands fatigue-free.
- Telescoping handles can be extended up to 33 inches making it easy to trim hard to reach sections
- The shears also does an excellent work of paring at its normal length of 25 inches
- Blades forged out of carbon steel are rustproof, performance driven and long lasting
- Shock absorbing buffers will reduce arm, shoulder, fingers and wrist fatigue
- Pruning e-guidebook offered with product
- The heaviness of the shears could cause some fatigue when using the same for a long time
- There would be a degree of impact on the body’s upper extremity when cutting taller branches and thick tendrils
The Corona HS 3244 ComfortGEL Hedge Shear will help you to effectively trim, pair, and prune dense and unwieldy foliage in the garden with incredible ease. This hedge shears comes with ComfortGEL grip handles that are ergonomically designed, facilitating smooth grip without compromising on firmness as well as preventing wrists from slipping.
- Blades are extra long and razor sharp that facilitate precise cuts and full-scale hedging with fast movements
- Trapezoidal steel handles provides additional leverage in pruning action
- Built-in shock absorbing bumpers neutralizes impacts and keep hands from getting stressed out
- High quality blades with non-stick coating prolongs the life of the shears
- Can be used by gardeners, horticulturists, agriculturists, and other professionals for across-the –board applications
- Some customers have found these shears to be ineffective for pruning dense shrubbery
You can prune and trim even the thickest of foliage in your garden with the Okatsune Precision Hedge Shears. This handheld shears are outfitted with blades that have been hammered out of premium quality, “Izumo Yasuki Steel” which is also used for forging Japanese sabers and swords. The handles have been crafted out of hardwood chipped out of Japanese white oak trees.
- Very lightweight compared to other similar models: weighs just 800g which makes for easy handling
- Extra long blades facilitate in perfect pruning and paring with rapid strokes
- The handle made from the wood of white oak promotes good grip required for trimming
- Blade hammer forged from superlative grade of Japanese steel and is rustproof as well as weatherproof
- Blades are prone to getting corroded in the long run if the same is cleaned and dried prior to putting these away
The extra leverage and pruning power provided by the Heavy Duty Ratchet Pruning Anvil Hand Lopper from YONNEY comes handy for hiving off even thick branches of woody plants. The handle has been designed meticulously so as to furnish maximum comfort during grips as well as providing the heft needed to trim, lop or hack off twigs and tendrils.
- Ergonomically designed for use by both sexes and arthritic individuals
- Handles fabricated out of aluminum via drop forging process for lasting use
- Blade coated with tempered carbon steel for measured and quick pruning
- Handle grips padded with shock absorbing bumpers for checking slips and hand fatigue
- Grooved patterns on blades prevents sap from getting stuck
- Micrometric adjustment mechanism provides optimum leverage during cutting and hedging
- Can be used effectively for shearing hedges, shrubbery, dense foliage, thicket, and even tree branches
- May not be able to prune or trim thick twigs or tree branches contrary to what has been claimed by the manufacturer
Snip, chop, lop, hack, and hew your way through boxwoods, shrubbery, foliage, and bushes with the B620 hedge shears from Tabor Tools. Telescoping handles enable the gardener to reach out to lofty twigs and stems for cutting them down to size and the shock counteracting bumpers built into the blades keep shoulder, arm, wrist, and fingers from getting fatigued. The blades have been carved out of highly tempered carbon steel for smooth pruning action.
- Blades have a wavy form factor for facilitating crisp and precise shearing
- Forged from tensile carbon steel, the blades are weatherproof, rustproof, and last long
- Shock absorbing components on blades for diminishing hand fatigue
- Anti-slip handles are lightweight and extendable
- Tension-adjustment knob for modifying the cutting action of the blades
- These hedge shears are somewhat hefty which could cause backache and stress in some when used for a long period of time
- Hewing thicker stalks and stems could call for a greater effort eventually leading to stress
No other gardening tool is as versatile as a handheld garden shear or hedge trimmer (with the possible exception of gas operated or electric pole trimmers) when it comes to pruning foliage and shrubbery. Two different models of hand shears from Tabor Tools and one each from Corona, Okatsune, and Yonney were assessed against a set of basic features including sharpness of cuts, preciseness of parings, and ease of use. Model B212 from Tabor Tools was found to be the handiest as well as readily affordable and the ones from Yonney and Corona were also good buys.